Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why am I writing this blog?

Before I start to fill this blog. I wanted to give you a brief summary of why I have decided to share my experiences with you.

I lived in England for 1/3 of my life and it formed the person I am today. Not only do I need my cup of tea every morning before I function properly (I might be German but I still don't drink coffee) but I love a good cream tea and Sunday Roast and also have adapted to the English way of life and their culture. Their little habits of holding small talk, talking about the weather for hours ( I can describe rain in at least 20 different ways), a relaxed attitude to after work and sometimes lunch sessions in the pub, never daring to upset anyone direclty instead formulating their sentences so no-one gets offended and subtly sneak in an insult an untrained hear will not pick up - british politeness you cannot beat it. Their love for sports, rugby, football, golf, horseracing, cricket (where I still don't get all the excitement - I guess it must have something to do with the picnic on the sidelines). And how could I forget their love and patience for queuing (but this probably also leaves you with plenty of time for small talk).

I am sure there are a few more things I could list what made me love England (and especially London) a lot. But still after 10 years my home country was calling me back to the land of sausages, sauerkraut and bier.

Blimey, I knew it was going to be tough to find a job and settle back in the German way of life but I never expected it to be such a cultural shock!!! This blog shall prepare or help all you who are thinking of returning to prepare you of what is to come, if you have already returned to let you know you are not alone (so also please leave your experiences and ask me anything you like :) ). A few of my friends have made the jump back from the island and moved back to their home-countries such as Spain, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Poland.... etc...  and have gone through the same that I am still going through. Always with a special attachment to our old home: London, England. Others are still waiting to make the jump and are using me as a guinea pig to see how I will cope and manage. So thought I share it with the rest of the world as well :)

Enjoy.
D

PS I decided to write this blog in English, as not only is it easier for me, but also the ones that are using me as a guinea pig (you know who you are) can follow my progress on German soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment